We know the physical is ephemeral (then what is sound and light?). But we partly exist in the physical world so I try to learn to live in the physical present by remembering my joy. My friend, Terri, taught me this: that to remember joy is to rebuild the way I think, which is to rebuild the way I may live.
- Poetry, and memorizing poems, is one of my joys: “Remember” poem by Joy Harjo, read by Jeff O.
- HOW TO BUILD A BETTER MEMORY: Unlocking my mind palace with the help of the world’s best memorizers – fascinating article on how to remember. Reminds me of Christopher Nolan’s film “Inception.”
- Memorizing Poetry (Shakespeare) Using the Method of Loci – The Method of Loci is described in the article above. It’s like mnemonics on natural steroids. Except they’re not natural.
- “Shadows” painted on sidewalks are real mind benders – I love public art.
Live Free or Die
- Ok, that may be hyperbole, but FDR actually proposed a “Second Bill of Rights” in 1944 to “keep us free from despotism.” It wasn’t passed.