“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.”—Hans Hofmann
Hofmann is talking about art process here, but I’m wondering if I can’t learn to apply this idea toward this holiday season?
The People Around Us
- A friend sent me this article recently and it’s a great time of year to remember to celebrate the people we love while we’re together: Celebrate people like a funeral.
- Similarly, Steve Jobs reminds us that, “Your time is limited, don’t waste it living someone else’s life.”
- Possibly related is that “Octopus research shows that consciousness isn’t what makes humans special” and that octopi may be the closest beings to alien life here on earth.
- If you’ll be travelling through the Denver Airport anytime soon, be sure to brush up on all of its conspiracy theories: “How the Denver Airport Became an Icon of the Illuminati.”
- Someday: These photographs of Iceland by Lucas Tombolini
Holidays on Ice
- My sister gave me a copy of David Sedaris’s book, “Holidays on Ice,” a million years ago. It’s a fun read this time of year if you’re looking for some affirmation of the mix of emotions associated with friends, family, and the beginning of winter holidays.
Happiness is happiness,
If you want “These Things” delivered to your inbox, you can sign up here. It’s an email I send out every other week–no spam and no selling your email address. Just things that inspire me.